Thursday, April 17, 2008

Comfort

What is your only comfort in life and death? Just the word comfort seems comforting. It is one of those words that sound like what it means.

In 1563 one of the most treasured writings in the history of the Christian church was published. The Heidelberg Catechism is one of the enduring documents from the time of the Reformation. One of the reasons that it was well-received by Christians of that era and that it is still beloved today by Reformed Christians is it’s theme of comfort.

Life is hard on its best day. Our world is fallen as is evident in everything from fading paint to heart disease; from broken marriages to the devastation of war. It is not simply the big event things of life that challenge our comfort. It is also the daily decisions about diet and school, leaky roofs and lawns that need mowing.

The Heidelberg Catechism reminds us of the only hope and comfort that is substantive and lasting.

One of the Presidential candidates is fond of speaking of hope. What is his hope grounded upon? What is your hope grounded upon?

The first question of the Heidelberg Catechism is:

“What is your only comfort in life and death?”

The answer is:

“That I, with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ; who with His precious blood has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, wherefore by His Holy Spirit He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me heartily willing and ready, henceforth to live unto Him.”

Those are beautiful words.

Can you give the answer to the question of comfort with those same words? Do you know Jesus Christ like that?

The second question of the catechism is:

“How many things are necessary for you to know, that you in this comfort may live and die happily?”

The answer is:

“Three; the first, how great my sins and misery are; the second, how I am delivered from all my sins and misery; the third, how I am to be thankful to God for such deliverance.”

Substantive and lasting comfort comes to those who understand the depth of their sinfulness, who know how to be delivered from their sins and misery and how to be thankful to God for such deliverance.

The catechism goes on to explain that though we are great and wicked sinners-- Jesus is a great and glorious Savior. We have no ability to save ourselves or even to help ourselves to be saved. We are totally dependent upon a gracious God to grant deliverance to us from our sins and misery. We receive His gift by faith in His Son Jesus Christ. We then spend the rest of our lives learning from His Word how to be thankful to God for such a gift.

Do you know such deep and substantive comfort?

No comments:

webpage visitor stats