Saturday, September 06, 2008

Old, New, Borrowed, Blue


Just over two years ago in Ocala, Florida I learned to swim (a little). I was in a hotel pool with my daughter Mary and she taught me how to swim (I was 44). My swimming has improved since then. Thanks Mary!

My oldest daugther Rachel has been asking me for some time to go horseback riding with her. I have been putting it off...until last evening. Though I have been on a horse a few times and for only a few minutes each time--I have never really rode a horse. Rachel and I took an hour long trail ride in the foothills of North Georgia. Another "first." It was a beautiful ride and I enjoyed the time with Rachel.

The older I get the more I am feeling that I need to say yes more often and try new things. This is especially true in relation to the interests of my wife and children.

Well, today was nothing new. Sarah (my number three daughter) and I went to Athens to watch the Georgia Bulldogs play Central Michigan. Sarah is an avid GA fan. When I say nothing new--I mean that we have been to games before and it is more common than not that GA wins. That was the case again today. Someone (unknown to me) gave my brother four tickets on the 30 yard line. He shared with Sarah and me. They also gave us a parking pass. The parking lot was 50 yards from the stadium. That was a first. Typically we park miles away, ride a University bus and do a lot of walking. Not this time. We were in and out in no time flat. I had a great time with Sarah.

There was something new today--Rachel, my formerly 18 year old daughter, turned 19. Sarah and I returned home at 9 PM for a wonderful birthday supper (prepared by Hannah--my number two daughter--with the assistance of Mary and Lydia--youngest daughters). We had a wonderful meal. However, I slept through most of Rachel's party. It seems that a weekend of new things and old things--finally put this old guy to sleep. Tomorrow I will ask about Rachel's birthday. (Forgot to mention the ballet show that Mary, Lydia and Rachel were performing when I got home).

Its great to be a husband--married to a godly woman and to be blessed with five daughters. There is often something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue in our family.

The old was GA winning. The new was horseback riding. The borrowed was the horses. The blue is the way I feel for sleeping through Rachel's birthday party.

I thank God for a godly wife and five lovely daughters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great looking blog; maybe you'll get over the "blue" of losing handily to the GATORS this year! The "toughest" schedule in the country? Because FLORIDA is on it!

Megan and Ryan Reed said...

I was afraid you were going to tell of some bruise for something blue, with all that activity. Praise God that's not the case ;)

We missed you all when we came down for Labor Day weekend. We even were there for 4 1/2 days and still were cramped for time to see everyone. Hopefully next time around! Let us know if your going to be in our area.

webpage visitor stats